Sunday, May 07, 2006

Yesterday's play and a little rant.

I know, I should have posted this yesterday but I was too tired/lazy. After the league tourney ended I started railing fellow forum member, eejit, in a $3.30R on Stars. Around midnight I called it quits and went to bed. Well, eejit hung in there (and you gotta realize, he's in the UK - it's LATE there!) and took the fucker down! A nice, just-shy-of $6K payday for the kid! WTG eejit!

So, on to my play. I only played two games, a $6.50 turbo and the league event.

I finished 6th in the turbo. Just wasn't really catching the cards. I think I had one good hand prior to that and then continued to get blinded down. Ah well. Can't win 'em all.

The league event was kinda disappointing. Only five of us turned out. There was myself, Nikki, Ash, RoC, and Bunny. RoC went first, then Bunny. W00t! Made the money! Then I went next to Ash. Then he finished off Nikki as well. GG Ash! The most amusing part of the whole thing was that it appears that one of the players doesn't seem to think it's right that Nikki & I play in the same tourney. Well, they didn't come right out and say it but when I said "sure, we can talk, but you and I could also be talking over MSN - it's the same thing" the reply was "it's not the same". Alright, it's not quite the same so I replied "okay, but it's no different than if I were talking with someone on the phone" to which the reply came "it's not the same thing but I'm not going to get into it". WTF??? How the hell is it not the same thing?

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that Nikki & I have decided to cheat to win this league thing. You know, because winning an extra $100 or so is sooooo critical to our bankroll/life that we're willing to risk our good reputation to do it. So anyway, we've decided to cheat. So, we sit in the same room and tell each other our pocket cards. Obviously, this gives us a slight edge over the other players as we know 4 of the 52 available cards vs. 2 of the 52 that other players know.

Now, let's examine an alternate scenario: another player and I decide to cheat. So we're on the phone with each other. We tell each other our pocket cards. Again, this gives us the same edge over the other players as the above scenario. How is it not the same? Because I can't see the person? Do I really need to? Even if Nikki & I were sitting BESIDE each other so we could see the other's screen, it makes no different (other than the person couldn't lie to us, but, since, in these scenario's, we're supposed to be colluding so lying doesn't make sense). The same scenario holds up for MSN as well.

If we've decided to cheat, it simply makes NO DIFFERENCE whether we're in the same room, on the phone with each other, or using an IM program. Hell, smoke signals if we were feeling really energetic.

Anyone that knows Nikki & I know that we are far too competitive with each other to cheat. We both love winning too much. For those that don't, you'll simply have to trust us. If you're not able to do that, then you have two options: a) don't play with us and/or b) bitch about it. Either way, the more you bitch, the more respect for you I lose.

So, to recap: Nikki & I play in SOME (not all) games together. This includes the forum league event and the occasional small buyin MTTs (which we've already cleared with Stars). Our living room has an 'L' shaped sectional in it. I sit at one end, Nikki sits at the other. It is simply not possible for us to see each other's screen since neither of us ever sent in the required 53 boxtops + $2.99 for shipping & handling for our X-Ray Specs. We do not, have never, and will never collude when playing at the same game. Period. It's simply not worth it. We've made a few friends playing online and would not risk those friendships over this. I said above that it's not worth it to win an extra $100 or so. Let me amend that: it's not worth it to win ANY amount of money. Integrity and trust are two things that are too important to fuck with.

Okay, I'm done ranting now. It's unlikely that anyone that doubts our honesty and integrity actually reads this but hey, I don't have a livejournal so I need to whine here. On the off chance they do, I have this to say to them: If you're life has evolved to such a place where you cannot offer the basist amount of trust required to believe us, I feel bad for you, I really do, but I'm not going to continually defend myself against allegations of cheating and colluding. I'm simply going to block chat from you. That way you can rant to all the other people at the table and see if you can sway their opinion of us and I don't have to read any of it.

There are going to be hands that Nikki & I end up heavily involved in. It would be so easy to cry "chip dumping" (in fact it happened in the first league event. I don't know if the people being serious were joking or not, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming they were joking. This has been discussed on the forum so if you want to read more about it, go there.) if one of us lays down a hand after some heavy betting. All I can tell you is that it is not because we're talking about the hand. Once in a while, we'll talk about a hand AFTER the hand is over. Even then, we don't always tell the other what we had. Too competitive.

Okay, now I'm really done.

Daily net: -$7.50
MTD: $42.99
PMTD: -$58.80

No comments: